Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Partial Story


Routine. 6:50, alarm goes off. Turn off, go back to sleep. Mom opens door, 7:10. Scrambles to get showered. Water on, shower lever pulled- OWW- cold as the hind quarters of an Antarctic streaker. Shower warm now, doze off again, wake up from warm dream, rapidly wash, water off, curtain open, so is door. Air flow freezing. Slam door shut, grab towel, retreat back to shower cave to dry off. Emerge from cave, clean ears, brush teeth, comb hair. 7:28. Speed to room, slip on underwear, catch a glimpse in the mirror, shudder away. Slip on pants and socks. Mirror, shudder, find shirt, over coat. Mirror. Stare. 7:34. Stare. Deep eyes… who am I?
Thus the lesson begins class, sit back and listen up please; we have a controversial speaker today. His name is regardless; his face is what bears his story. Let us begin, shall we step into my mind for a while? Who am I? That story is much longer that the time has allotted, so let’s begin with early march, 2012. I was a boy, well on his way to self destruction. Depression, self-hatred, eternal contempt. Mistakes made, trusts broken, I felt as though I had nowhere to go but the grave, and I told no one. Then, I met her. The attraction grew like a tumor, until I discovered April fourth that I was in love. I wouldn’t know for about two weeks how seriously deep I was in that beautiful poison. We started dating, she said she loved me too, I grew closer and closer. I realized that nothing else came close to her in my soul. I devoted and dedicated my entire being to her. I learned her story, her pain, and I wanted nothing else than to take it all away from her and to bear it myself. This lovely creature, she didn’t deserve all this pain, so much pain. Whereas I, the monster, the scoundrel, this fiendish excuse of a human being, have nothing compared to what she has. Eyes open. Light of gnosis enters. I see…
She cheats on me. She calls, cries, is so sorry. I feel no breaking of trust, only the sadness of her bearing more pain.
August 31st I get home from school. Eager to talk to her, hungry for every syllable uttered by her sweet voice. I call her, she speaks with timidity, apprehension. I sense something is wrong. And then she says it. “Robert, you’re a sweet guy (my heart sinks), and I know this is hurting you (no no no no please no) but I don’t want to do this anymore.” Choking on tears, suffocating on my agony I reply that it’s okay. (God I can’t tell her I love her when we hang up this time.) my world is falling, I’m so confused, I don’t know what to do. Why, why did she? I GAVE HER EVERYTHING. I gave her my soul, my life, my dedication, devotion, love, emotion. And, and what went wrong?
Hours later, a rumor reaches me. A lie, passed down the line as a weapon to the hands of a dangerous and desperate man. I’m told that shortly after dumping me to the dogs, leaving me in the storm, she calls a punk, for lack of more appropriate words for a virgin eared audience, and wants sex. My mind races, so she dumped me so she could get laid?! She abandoned someone who loves her so much he would sacrifice the entire universe for her happiness for some pot smoking punk? God I was livid. I utilized my instant vaporizer of reason, the text message, synonymous with facebook and twitter, to tell her the most awful things that have ever escaped my mental confines. Never before have I ever told anybody off. That day, I told off the most important person to me. I called her horrible names, let loose a torrent of anger, depression, sheer raw unedited emotion that was so suddenly unlocked from within me in a few hours time. Then I learned it was a lie. And I couldn’t undo what I had done. I ruined all chance of us ever becoming a couple ever again, and I was transformed. I blew up on her once more weeks later and I vowed since never to do anything to cause her harm ever again. I later learned why she left me. It was my fault, so dreadfully my fault. I had brought back old memories, repressed memories. Nightmares, crying, I can’t blame her for leaving me, I suppose it was the only path she could safely take. I have been fighting tooth and nail for her life. Anybody here ever want to kill themselves? Oh heck why not, anybody even joke about wanting to? Raise your hands if you have, no shame, we are all equally putrid in this room. Very good. Anybody ever talk someone out of suicide? Has anybody ever failed (you, you get a hug after this)? So now, did you try to talk these people out of suicide while simultaneously fight the urge yourself? That’s me! And take it from the guy who counted every pain and sleeping pill in the medicine cabinet and then calculated the milligrams to see if it would be enough, the guy who thought out plans for hanging himself on a specific tree after scouting for the right height, or maybe over the side of his school, why not? Plenty of guns in the basement too… it’s a hard road to walk on, a road I’m not sure people of my type ever leave. Who am I? God, if the God I was taught is the real sole God, I wish I could be happy. I wish I could be  a good partner. Instead I am this miserable shell of a man living in the shadow of a failed love and a dying lover. But happiness, what is it? Eternal happiness, endless joy, overflowing purity, unending holiness, living utopia, all synonymous with one crass term; bull shit! I’m a philosopher for Hell’s sake! These negative emotions, these pains, this suffering, it enlightens me! Brings me into a sense of gnosis, of knowledge, of that hypoctite we call truth! Hazah! Onwards to my mental expansion! Some people think I’m a bigot, well, I don’t care if you’re male, female, transvestite, black, white, purple, jewish, muslim, christian or Hell, worship the great mole rat! I hate you all equally and fairly, and so I am just. Let the haters hate and the lovers love, for they are two digits in the same long number we call humanity. And wether humanity can obtain the harmony it so depserately needs or if it will stop causing pain by a more carthegenian solution, we as individuals will never get anywhere without the first question of the day; who am I? But more importantly, who are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment