Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Farewell

Dear Mr. Schrader:
I know I only joined last year, I know I do not nearly have the personal connection with you that the rest of my peers have, but I'm going to miss you. I know you make fun of me behind my back, I know I'm a klutz, I know I have done some really stupid things; but I hope I left an eventual positive impression with you. I'm sorry; I'm sorry for being retarded and causing more stress for you, I'm sorry for almost ruining that concert last year, I'm sorry for always dropping the instruments, I'm sorry for getting angry and frustrated and extra crazy at games. I never formally apologized, and after you leave I may never get the chance. Thank you for everything you have done for all of us. You are by far one of the most amazing mentors I have ever met, even though you were not my mentor. I'm glad you have made this decision; it is far better for you to stop being such an amazing influence on us to continue being the wonderful force you are for others than it is for you to stay here and die within the decade from overbearing stress. I'll miss you, your jokes, saying "Schrader's mother!" at the cadence halts, your methods, the way you could even teach someone with the experience of a sixth grader to play the songs this band plays as decently as I do. Remember when you wore the Callahan Auto Parts shirt at band camp and put your hair in the dyke spike to mimic Seb? It's sad that it has to be this way; I think I can tell that your heart is here, with these kids, these mentored youth who love you so much; but it is because of this love that we welcome your leave. I felt too selfish to cry, too weak to cave in when you told us. I know I don't know you as well as the rest of my friends and peers who were crying. Then I realized why I cried; it wasn't because I am losing a friend, it is because of the pressing circumstance you are in, an how this unfair situation is going to break over two hundred relationships. Please know that I am not angry at you, I do not hate you, and I do not wish for you to change your mind if it means putting your life in jeopardy. Among all this, I realize something vital; every student who has had the joyous opportunity to know you and learn from you must not quit band. We have to remain and keep this alive, we must stay in not only for ourselves, not only for this school which threw us into the morgue, but for you. I will remain in band, even though I am a weak member, because if we quit, if we give up, then everything has been done in vain, and we must not allow for that to happen.
This may sound creepy, but I love you; I love you for the role you play, I love you for what you have done, I love you for being the motivating, inspiring, caring man you are, and I know that many others love you too.
I'll try and remember to "beam down" for you,
Robert Wilt

No comments:

Post a Comment